Friday, January 8, 2010

Shenanigans!

Yes, I have been incredibly lax in my updates. Given the fact that all the places I want to fish are buried under feet of snow, I decided to do a large, all inclusive post covering the trips I made in the 2009 season after my last update.

I made many trips, and got to enjoy most of them with my girlfriend.

The first bit of High Country fishing that I have yet to catalog was my trip to visit family in northern New Mexico and southern Colorado. I fished the Cimmaron River in New Mexico for a ton of nice sized wild Browns and Rainbows. It is a beautiful little tailwater fishery. Very lush surroundings and a thriving fishery. Despite its relatively diminutive size, it is purported to have 3,500 fish per mile! I fished EHC dries for the most part and had around 8-10 fish an hour for the 3 days I fished! What a blast!
Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

After the Cimmaron, I fished a nearby lake for wild bows tailing in the shallows on Damsel nymphs. After hooking and breaking one off in the first 5 minutes, I spent another 5 hours searching for another bite. I eventually managed to get this one on a bugger and a sinking line.

Photobucket

After that, we headed to the mountains of southern Colorado to visit my hometown. I got to spend about an hour chasing these under appreciated beauties in moving water with a fly rod. Pretty sporty indeed!

Photobucket

The next day, I headed to the private property that my aunt and uncle care take for a wealthy Texan oil man. This property has two lakes that have BIG, MEAN, fly crushing Rainbows! Oh man, what a blast. These fish were stocked as fingerlings, and have grown to be very wild in their habits and appearance. In the 7 or 8 hours that I fished, I caught probably thirty fish on buggers and dries all between 17 and 22.5 inches. These fish are fat, and they fight like no other Rainbows I have ever seen. A complete blast watching these fish daintily sip a size 16 Elk Hair Caddis and then go ballistic when you drive the steel home!

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

That was it for my trip home to the Rockies, and man it was great. I love the California high country, but those mountains back home call to me on a daily basis and have a draw to them that is all their own.

I was gonna do a quick synopsis of the season and do it all in one post, but I can see now, as is often the case, that once I get started talking fishing, it gets really hard to do a cliff notes version, so I will do the recap in several posts for ease of browsing.

No comments:

Post a Comment